tclogo



HotelsCombined.com

Pages

Archives

Categories


Recent Postings

Recent Comments

Feeds

RSS2 feed

Links

Most Popular Posts

When a memory module failed

Saturday, 30th June 2007 6:27pm
Last weekend I had one of the most annoying problems with my machine and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.


In Windows the first thing that fell away was the daily AVG Anti-virus update. Every time it tried to update it would say that the file was corrupt. I just thought that maybe the file was corrupt for real but then when I tried to install new applications on the machine most of them wouldn't install and one of files would be deemed to be corrupt.


The moment I realised that it was a hardware problem was when I logged on to Ubuntu and there were a series of problems with and Konquerer giving error after error.


The drama continued when I tried to log on to Windows and I got this error message:


The procedure entry point GetTimeFormatA could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll


and I wouldn't be able to log on to my normal Windows login but I could log on to safe mode though.


It is at that point that I decided to run some hardware tests and to start with I decided to run a memory diagnostic test. I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it quickly showed me that there were problems with one of my two memory modules.


On replacing the faulty memory module, everything was back to normal and AVG Anti-virus updated as normal and all application installations proceeded as normal.

Post a comment:

 

(required)

(required, but not published)

(optional)





Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail